Curious about “acupuncture for fibromyalgia near me”? Find out more here. Our acupuncturists provide the best acupuncture for fibromyalgia in Irvine.
Fibromyalgia is a medical condition that can cause constant pain and it was found by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to affect about 4 million US adults, about 2% of the adult population. Although the cause of fibromyalgia is unknown, it can be properly treated and managed. One form of treatment that you should try is acupuncture for fibromyalgia.
What can acupuncture treat?
Acupuncture can treat many symptoms and is used as a complementary treatment or even as an alternative treatment for many medical conditions. The most notable conditions that acupuncture can treat are chronic pain, anxiety, depression, and insomnia which were found to be major symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Want to know what other people say about acupuncture? Listen to what one of our previous patient who struggled with insomnia had to say:
“I have been suffering from insomnia, the state of being unable to fall asleep, for a while. It’s easily awakened and a worse time falling asleep again. Every morning I would get up exhausted and frustrated, causing my emotions to fluctuate wildly between happiness and anger.
After the second course of treatment, my insomnia began to fade away, letting me sleep in a relaxed and rejuvenating state. Even if I woke up in the middle of the night, I could still easily fall asleep by applying pressure auricular therapy. Not only have I been able to improve the quality of my sleep through therapy, I am also felt much more spirited and energetic and no longer troubled by insomnia.”
W.H. (Irvine, CA)
What is traditional Chinese medicine (TCM)?
Traditional Chinese medicine, also known as Eastern medicine, is a practice that originated in China that has been used to treat various diseases. Under TCM, there is a large list of treatments including acupuncture. Unlike Western medicine where it sees the body more like a machine and looking at individual parts, TCM looks at your entire well-being. It focuses on the flow of body energy called qi and in Eastern medicine, the balanced flow of qi is what keeps once well-being healthy. With that, TCM’s main goal is the restoration of one’s qi with treatments like acupuncture for fibromyalgia.
Here are some common questions we get:
Do you accept insurance?
Yes, we accept insurance. We also accept credit as a form of payment. If you want to know if your insurance covers acupuncture, call us to verify.
What is your address?
Address: 15785 Laguna Canyon Road #370 Irvine, CA 92618
Where do the needles go?
Because acupuncture is experienced differently from person to person, your acupuncturist will do a medical diagnosis to determine where the needles should be placed. By doing this, you’ll receive an acupuncture treatment that is best for you.
If you have more questions about acupuncture, TCM, or acupuncture for fibromyalgia, book your free consultation and meet our certified acupuncturists. Call us now: (949) 229-7498
What’s fibromyalgia symptoms?
With fibromyalgia, there are various symptoms. Here are some symptoms you may be experiencing:
- Widespread pain: You’ll feel a constant dull ache or pain throughout your body.
- Fatigue: Those with fibromyalgia tend to be tired throughout the day. It is most likely due to sleep being disrupted by pain.
- Cognitive difficulties: Fibromyalgia fog also called “fibro fog” or “brain fog” is a symptom that makes it hard to focus, pay attention, and concentrate on mental tasks. It also may cause memory lapse.
Other symptoms of fibromyalgia may include:
What are some conditions related to fibromyalgia?
When it comes to fibromyalgia, there are other symptoms that are related or can overlap with fibromyalgia. You may have these symptoms:
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Chronic pain
- Regional pain syndrome
- Interstitial cystitis
- Temporomandibular disorder (TMJ)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Temporomandibular joint disorders
- Headaches (migraines)
- Interstitial cystitis or painful bladder syndrome
The cause of fibromyalgia is not completely known by medical professionals but they believe that these factors cause fibromyalgia:
- Genetics: Fibromyalgia tends to run in families. If you have a relative with fibromyalgia, you have a chance of getting it.
- Viral Infections: Some illnesses such as the flu can trigger fibromyalgia.
- Physical or emotional trauma: Fibromyalgia can be triggered by trauma.
- Stress: Stress was also found to cause fibromyalgia.
Who does fibromyalgia affect?
Fibromyalgia can affect anyone but there are certain people are more likely to be affected by it. These are groups of people who are more likely to be affected by fibromyalgia:
- Age: It more likely to affect middle-aged people and more as you get older.
- Musculoskeletal-related or rheumatic disease: You have a higher chance of experiencing fibromyalgia.
- Sex: Women are more likely to experience symptoms of fibromyalgia
- Family history: Genetics have shown to be a factor in fibromyalgia
How does fibromyalgia affect your quality of life?
Fibromyalgia has some extreme symptoms that can affect your quality of life. This may include things like:
- Lower quality of life: fatigue, chronic pain, etc
- Interference with your ability to function
- Mental Conditions: severe depression and anxiety
- More likely to be hospitalized
- Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal conditions: rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, ankylosing spondylitis, etc.
- Metabolic syndrome
- Extreme allodynia
- Obesity or physical deterioration
- Opioid or alcohol dependence
Remedies to help with fibromyalgia
There are many things you can do in addition to the treatment you are taking for fibromyalgia. It will take more effort but they are worth doing. These remedies will help with managing symptoms of fibromyalgia and improve quality of life:
- Reduce stress: Try to manage or limit stress. It will help reduce the symptoms of depression and anxiety that is associated with fibromyalgia
- Get good sleep: Fatigue is one symptom of fibromyalgia so getting enough sleep is important. In addition, sleep is an important factor in one’s health and is also related to emotional conditions like depression and anxiety.
- Exercise regularly: Exercise is a great thing to do. It will help increase stamina and is a great way of reducing stress. But, most importantly, it’s healthy. Exercising may be hard starting off, but you’ll see good progress as you continue.
- Pace yourself: Pacing yourself can have many benefits. It can reduce stress and help during days when your symptoms of fibromyalgia are worse. Know what you can and you can’t do.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Similar to exercise, a good diet a good thing to do. Eating healthy helps maintain health and strengthen the immune system. But, it doesn’t mean you can’t have your occasional sweets.
Acupuncture in Orange County
Need an acupuncture treatment for fibromyalgia in the Orange County area or specifically Irvine? Come to Irvine Meridian Acupuncture Health Center and meet the most well-regarded acupuncturist in Irvine. Dr. Fu can help you treat fibromyalgia with effective acupuncture treatment.
Make an appointment for acupuncture for fibromyalgia. Have some questions? We provide a free consultation. Claim it now by calling: (949) 229-7498